UPDATE on July 17, 2024
DANVILLE, Ill. (WCIA) — Authorities in Danville are still searching for a 12-year-old boy who went missing on Monday while swimming in the Vermilion River.
Danville Police, the Vermilion County Sheriff’s Dive Team and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources have been searching for the boy since that night. After suspending the search on Monday due to severe weather, the search continued on Tuesday with no luck before being suspended again.
The trio of agencies are back on the river again Wednesday morning. Danville Police said additional resources and equipment have arrived to aid in the search.
Members of the public are asked to stay away from the area and allow law enforcement to conduct their search. People on the riverbanks could interfere with use of the equipment, police explained.
Danville Police added that they will continue to provide updates when new information is available.
DANVILLE, Ill. (WCIA) — Authorities in Danville are searching the Vermilion River for a boy who went missing overnight.
Danville Police said the boy is 12 years old. He was reported missing by two other juveniles around 8:11 p.m. on Monday, saying the boy was swimming near the riverbank near Commercial Street. He subsequently became overcome by the current and went under the water’s surface.
Danville police officers and members of the Vermilion County Sheriff’s Department Dive Team began searching the river, but were unable to find him before severe weather moved into the area. They suspended the search at 10:14 p.m.
Vermilion County authorities and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources resumed their search for the boy at 8 a.m. on Tuesday. Danville Police added that members of the public have assisted in the search, but they are now asking people to stay at least 100 yards away and to stay out of the water due to unsafe conditions.
So far, the boy has not been found. A WCIA reporter is present in Danville to cover the search and any updates we find out will be provided in this article.
This is not the first time this summer someone has gone missing in the Vermilion River. 23-year-old Jose Alberto Lopez-Fernandez went missing in May while swimming in the river. His body was found two days later.
Anyone who has further information that can help police is asked to call Danville Police at 217-431-2250.